Thursday, June 14, 2012

Paris Cafe

Hi All, what an incredible ride it was. I saw things i've never seen before, rode through beautiful small villages and towns, pedaled when i felt like stopping, tried to speak french when i have no idea how to speak french, tried to look like i belonged when i obviously didn't, etc.. What all the days pedaling and all the miles traveled on my bike add up to are wishes granted to 4 sick children. And that means a lot to me. I appreciate everyones generous donations and support. 

The first four days of this ride were the most grueling i have ever experienced. The gear on the bike combined with the wind and rain got me. I had friends and family helping me via email and text with their support and it helped. I persevered and made it to Paris. I helmet cam'ed my ride into paris, it should be interesting footage, i will share it when i get it prepared. 

This ride parallels what Make a Wish children go through everyday. Pain, uncertainty, perseverance, drive, determination, and isolation. Also the love, compassion, kindness, and dedication. I certainly cannot compare a bike ride to the battle these children face everyday but i try to feel some of what they feel on these rides. They teach adults like us to keep going, keep pedaling if you will. You'll get there. Some of these children don't win their battles but not for lack of extreme determination and will. I think about the children who didn't get through their battles while i'm riding as well, and i pray for them and their families. 

Right now i am in the courtyard of a hotel in Paris and i have just realized i don't have to pedal tomorrow! I just had dinner at a nice cafe and i will do the bell ringing ceremony at the exchange tomorrow followed by interviews with a few French Bicycling magazines and a daily paper. Hopefully these interviews get more attention on European Make a Wish organizations. Then i will spend the weekend in Paris and head home. 

Thanks again to everyone who donated, sponsored, and helped me coordinate this ride. I'm back for more next year. Not sure where yet. Maybe a ride through Siberia ?

Adele and Kate, I love you both very much.

Some photos from today   

The bike in Chantilly before ride



Reminded me of Beavis, one of my favorite characters

Eiffel Tower from my hotel window


Fountain in the courtyard where i am blogging from now. The dude looks like several guys i know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment